If your vehicle has a discharged battery, it can be jump started using a set of jumper cables and a battery in another vehicle, or by using a portable battery booster pack. Jump starting can be dangerous if done improperly, so please follow the procedures in this article carefully.
Do not attempt jump starting if the battery is frozen. It could rupture or explode and cause personal injury.
Do not use a portable battery booster pack or any other booster source with a system voltage greater than 12 Volts or damage to the battery, starter motor, alternator or electrical system may occur.
Note: When using a portable battery booster pack, follow the manufacturer’s operating instructions and precautions.
Preparations For Jump Start
The battery in your 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 vehicle is located in the front of the engine compartment, behind the left headlight assembly.
NOTE: The positive battery post may be covered with a protective cap if equipped. Lift up on the cap to gain access to the positive battery post. Do not jump off fuses. Only jump directly off positive post which has a positive (+) symbol on or around the post.
- Make sure that you avoid the radiator cooling fan whenever the hood is raised. It can start anytime the ignition switch is ON. You can be injured by moving fan blades.
- Remove any metal jewelry such as rings, watch bands and bracelets that could make an inadvertent electrical contact. You could be seriously injured.
- Batteries contain sulfuric acid that can burn your skin or eyes and generate hydrogen gas which is flammable and explosive. Keep open flames or sparks away from the battery.
Jump Starting Procedure
- Apply the parking brake, shift the automatic transmission into PARK and turn the ignition OFF.
- Turn off the heater, radio, and all unnecessary electrical accessories.
- If using another vehicle to jump start the battery, park the vehicle within the jumper cables reach, apply the parking brake and make sure the ignition is OFF.
Do not allow vehicles to touch each other as this could establish a ground connection and personal injury could result. Failure to follow this jump starting procedure could result in personal injury or property damage due to battery explosion. Failure to follow these procedures could result in damage to the charging system of the booster vehicle or the discharged vehicle.
Connecting The Jumper Cables
- Connect the positive (+) end of the jumper cable to the positive (+) post of the discharged vehicle. NOTE: Do not jump off fuses. Only jump directly off positive post.
- Connect the opposite end of the positive (+) jumper cable to the positive (+) post of the booster battery.
- Connect the negative (-) end of the jumper cable to the negative (-) post of the booster battery.
Disconnecting The Jumper Cables
- Disconnect the negative (-) end of the jumper cable from the engine ground of the vehicle with the discharged battery.
- Disconnect the opposite end of the negative (-) jumper cable from the negative (-) post of the booster battery.
- Disconnect the positive (+) end of the jumper cable from the positive (+) post of the booster battery.
- Disconnect the opposite end of the positive (+) jumper cable from the positive (+) post of the vehicle with the discharged battery.
If frequent jump starting is required to start your vehicle you should have the battery and charging system inspected at an authorized dealer.